1. Do not tell embarrassing stories that go over well with people that have know you for a long time. While you may be trying your best to get to know one another, there is a time and a place for telling those old embarrassing high school stories and this is not it.
2. Make sure you have taken care of any and all grooming needs. It is not a good thing to realize halfway through the date that you fake nail just became unglued and fell off in your soup.
3. Do not laugh at every little thing he says or compliment him continuously. Most guys do not find this kind of falsehood flattering, as they see it as a sure sign of desperation.
4. Never refer to yourself in the third person. Some women may think this is a cute ploy, but it really only gets on his nerves.
5. Avoid references and questions about how much you or your date make. This will automatically send up a red flag that money is your main interest, and even if your date does make a good living, this will probably put him off.
6. While it is important that you dress your best for a first date, remember that overdressing can be just as bad as not being properly dressed.
7. Do not mention past romantic relationships unless he brings it up first. Sometimes this can make your new date feel as if he is being compared to your last relationship.
8. While it is important to exchange common interests, do not ruin the conversation by trying to make everything that is brought up relate back to your life. Men are not looking for carbon copies of themselves.
9. Do not start sizing up the other men in the room while you are on your date. Sometimes it may be hard not to notice the eye candy in the corner, but your date will surely notice how distracted you are. Keep your focus on your date.
10. Never, ever bring up marriage or children on a first date. No matter what may come up in conversation remain aloof about your hopes for the future for fear of sending your date running in the other direction.