You can never be too safe these days. The internet certainly is an incredible invention, but it has also brought with it a whole slew of problems. Here are what I consider to be the most important things you can do to keep yourself safe online:
1) Scan for Spyware: Spyware invades your computer, and logs your activity. It then sends it back to a host. It can be extremely dangerous, and you absolutely should have a program that will protect you. You can learn more about my favorite spyware program at the end of this article.
2) Scan for Viruses: Viruses aren’t as popular as they use to be, but they still can be pains in the necks! Be sure to have some sort of software that will protect you against viruses.
3) Be Weary of Hoaxes: The internet is full of pranksters, and unfortunately some of them are after your wallet. If you get an email that doesn’t look right, be very suspicious. You should always have your red flag up as you cannot be too careful.
4) Don’t Get Phished! Phishing occurs when someone tries to trick you into you sending them your personal information. An example of this would be “PayPal” emailing you telling you that your account has a problem, and then asking you to click on a link, sign in, and enter all of your personal information. Of course its not PayPal, its a scammer! Be very, very careful of these emails.
5) Avoid Internet Scams: Here is a piece of golden wisdom, if something appears to good to be true, then it is! It is as simple as that. Many people will promise you the world, but in reality all they are promising to do is empty your wallet!
I hope you will take this advice to heart, and be safe out there in this crazy internet world!