Let me congratulate you for deciding to start your own catering service. This is one of the most fun and potentially lucrative businesses in the world which can be run by an individual. However, there are a few basic things you need in order to start your own catering service and make it a profitable operation for you.
5 Things You Need In Order to Open Your Own Catering Business
- You need to select a name – I know this seems obvious, but choosing a name is very important. This is what people will know your business by. A good name can drive customers to you. Think of something like: “Perfect Party Catering” or “Taste Buds” catering. You get the picture. By the way, feel free to use one of these names if you’re looking for one.
- Get a license – You will need a business license to open your catering service.
- Permits – You will need to have a permit from the local Health Department to open your business. This is customary and no trouble to get.
- Get a kitchen, equipment, and supplies – This is the real working blocks of your catering business. Make sure that you have everything you need to make diverse dishes quickly, because often you’ll get calls from potential clients for last minute events. You don’t need to build or buy a kitchen, you can rent one for not too much money.
- Advertising material – You will need to have catering business cards, a few brochures to spread around, a website (which costs under 10$ a year), and an email address and phone number so clients can reach you.
All of these things aren’t hard to do or manage, but they are necessary before you start your catering business.