The enormous demand of joining Social Networking sites like Facebook and MySpace has not been missed by our children. Even though Facebook has a limit on the age of people joining (13 years and older) and MySpace (14 years and older) many children younger than this are joining these social networking sites every day. As a concerned responsible parent here are 5 things you could start doing today to protect your children
1. Make sure your children are older than 13 before they join Facebook
2. Make sure their page is private?
3. Remove their surname, and all references that could pinpoint them (school, sports club etc)
4. Monitor and approve all your children’s friends
5. Tell them to be careful and remind them you will be reading what they post – after all this is public.
As caring and responsible parents it is vitally important we educate our Children about the dangers of social networking sites. We would not let our children use a dangerous tool or send them out to drive our car before they are the correct age and only after we have educated them how to use the tool or drive the car properly and safely. Yet when it comes to the internet which is hugely more dangerous and potentially life threatening we set our children loose many times without so much as a single lesson on how to use it properly and without warning them of the dangers involved. We can help our children by educating ourselves and by monitoring our kid’s online activities through installing Parental Control Software to ensure their safety and protection in the potentially dangerous online world.