Without a doubt, facsimile (or commonly, fax) is one of the most important innovation in communication technologies. If doesn’t matter how big is your business or what is your business nature; you just have to own the faxing ability to keep the business going.
Back to the question, can you send fax over Internet? The answer is absolutely yes. In fact nowadays a conventional fax machine is very much redundant as faxing over the Internet project a better faxing solution. By utilizing high speed Internet connection, we now have an alternative in fax-communication – Internet faxing. In brief, Internet faxing is a service that allows you to send or receive fax without the faxing machine.
How to send and receive Internet fax online?
In most cases, all you need for starting up Internet faxing service is just an active email account. Some Internet faxing service providers (eFax and CallWave Virtual Fax for example) require you to pay a certain amount of setup fees; while some (MyFax for example) offer free setup. As soon as you are done with the registration, you are good to go in sending your first virtual fax.
For the ease of understanding, we will use MyFax to show how Internet faxes are sent and received. Note that MyFax requires no software installation for sending or receiving faxes. This is pretty different from the rest as many service providers will need to install a small piece of software into your system.
Sending Internet faxes
- Open your email program (Outlook for example) and compose a new email
- In the recipient field, enter the destination fax number followed by the @myfax.com extension. The destination fax number must include the country code + area + local number without any spaces between the numbers.
- In the “Subject” field, enter the information that you would like to appear in the fax header.
- Within the body of the email, provide any text you want to have faxed. The body of the email will be appeared as the fax body. For MyFax services, any text in the email body will be converted to a fax image using 12-point fixed width font.
- If you have more documents to be faxed, you can attach the files to the email. In general, document types like Words, PDF, as well as Excel files are supported by most virtual fax service providers. For MyFax, you can attach up to 8 different documents to the email and send them out in a single email.
Receiving Internet faxes
- After signing up for MyFax, you will be assigned a personal fax number. Your contacts send faxes to your fax number, just as they would normally do.
- All faxes sent to your personal fax number arrive in your existing email account in the form of a PDF or TIFF attachment. Faxes can also be received online through a secure website.
- For MyFax services, the first page of the fax will be previewed in the email body while the full text will be in the attachment.
- The PDF or TIFF attachment will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader or any other image viewing software. You may read, print, resend (forward), or organize the fax just as any other softcopy in your computer.
Is Internet faxing for you?
There are many reasons why Internet faxing business is growing such popular. Users often get extremely frustrated with conventional faxing machine as they often suffer problems like paper jam, extra phone line cost, cuts off page text, and fax transmission failure. Although not able in replacing the traditional fax machine, Internet fax provides an easy faxing method where the service is 24 hours ready, no more engage tones, and no more paper jamming. Faxes will always send out and arrived smoothly via your email account without any cost of extra phone line.
So is Internet faxing the right service for you? Who knows the answer other than yourself. Surf around Internet, do some reviews, the smart thing to do is always think wisely before purchasing.