As people grow old, the body becomes weaker and becomes prone to physical damages. Although some are advised to do some physical activities to stay fit, the health condition still continues to worsen.
A lot of changes occur as one gets older and the body becomes more and more fragile. These changes include lose of strength of bone and muscles thereby reducing the endurance of the body. Some body organs such as the kidney will start to malfunction and the skin loses its firmness.
We know for a fact that health is everyone’s valuable possession. And it becomes at risk as we enter the stage of becoming senior citizens. That is why it is strongly recommended for someone getting old to concentrate more on doing physical exercises so as to stay fit. There are several ways where aged people can stay in good health condition at every aspect.
1. Health Insurance – This is the most important thing that should be acquired for every senior citizen. This will provide the financial support for everyone in time it is needed. However, one needs to be careful when acquiring this insurance and the plan that provides full benefits must be taken into consideration.
2. Diet and Exercise – The kind of food we take depends on our age. Aged people should be more careful on what they eat. The reason why older people is at crucial stage with regards to food intake is that the immune system becomes weaker thereby lessening the natural body protection from illnesses.
The food that they eat should be rich in vitamins, proteins, minerals, and carbohydrates. Fats must be avoided as it may cause number of diseases such as heart problems. Extra intake of calcium for the bones is also necessary.
However, having healthy diet may not be enough. It is also needed to do some physical activities to boost the body’s endurance, strength and stamina. One must be careful in doing these activities especially with the movements because the body becomes more prone to injuries when aging takes its toll.
3. If there is a history of some ailments within the family that may be inherited, it is better to have a regular examination to check if one would inherit the same sickness or not. Diseases like colon and prostrate cancer are common to men at the age of fifty and above. Preventive measures must be done and doctor prescriptions must be followed.
4. Women are prone to breast cancer. Menopausal period is risky for all the women since it is at this stage where the body becomes weak and prone to diseases. It is impossible to avert it but prevention must still be put in mind. Medications must also be done to reduce the risk of acquiring diseases.
5. Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia may also be prone to women. The brain is the organ that is greatly affected by these diseases as it cause malfunction of the intellectual and physical capabilities. Women at age sixty and above are the ones who are prone to these diseases.
They usually forget things and are not able to do work actively. Consultation to a doctor must be done right away as soon as these symptoms are observed. Certain medications may prevent this from getting worse.
6. Eliminate stress. There is a great adverse effect of stress. It is not advisable though to immediately take medicine. It is better to have it discussed with a psychiatrist if this will seem to be uncontrollable.