Have you for whatever reason wanted to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer 9? If you have, you may have experienced the “Installation Failed with Error 3715” error while trying to reinstall Internet Explorer 9? I had experienced this error on my laptop and had found a solution to it after hours of troubleshooting. A few weeks ago I had the beta version Internet Explorer 9 installed on my laptop and viewed my personal website. The format of my website wouldn’t display correctly in IE 9 beta version. I figured it was the beta version causing the incorrect display. So I decided to uninstall the beta version and install the final release of IE 9. I had no errors or problems during the uninstall. However; after uninstalling the beta version, I rebooted my laptop and tried to reinstall IE 9 full version; I would continually get a “Installation Failed with Error 3715” error.
I verified I had the correct installation files for my Windows version, tried installing it manually and through Windows Automatic Updates, made sure my computer was updated and met the requirements and also tried running the setup as Administrator. None of those previous solutions worked, so I searched Google for the error and a solution to it. From all the forums that have this error noted, it seems I was not alone and many other users have experienced this error. I had no problem finding many “solutions” to the problem. I tried all of them I could find, but none of them would work for me. After a couple hours of trying others’ and my own solutions, I was frustrated and was ready to give up. I thought of something else to try, that no-one else had mentioned. I uninstalled IE 8, rebooted, re-installed IE 8, rebooted again and then tried to install IE 9… No errors, IT WORKED! I didn’t believe it at first, I had to verified it was installed and it was. I now have IE 9 installed on my laptop.
As a test I uninstalled IE 9 and tried to reinstall it and I got the same error. To fix some programs, you uninstall and reinstall them. It seems that in order to apply this fix to IE 9, you need to uninstall/reinstall IE 8 also.
So, after hours of troubleshooting, the solution that worked for me was to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer 8 also.