The growing impact of Smartphones and Android devices have witnessed a sudden upsurge in the E-commerce market. Moreover, technical developments enhanced the internet speed and this brought about an improvement in the download speed of E-commerce websites. But this isn’t sufficient for a website to run quickly and with ease.
Designing a website is quite easy, but if it fails to load when the customer clicks over the link or URL, it ultimately afflicts the business. Loading time of a website is a factor that determines the customer acquisition and retention which decides the business growth. Given below are a few tips to increase the speed of E-commerce websites:
You can set the page load time to 3 seconds or less, avoid compromising load time for richer graphics.
- Page size: The size of a page is measured in Kilobytes and larger the size of the page the more time it takes to load. All the components of a page including images, videos and content are part of its size, so try to keep it small as far as possible to prevent triggering of the loading time. While building web pages you can save the page on your computer as a web archive folder from the browser and measure the size of the folder.
- Implement Cache and In-Memory Technology: Accessing databases each time takes up a lot of memory, so it is better to implement the Caching or in-memory technologies to avoid unnecessary accessing of databases. These technologies are designed with memories that can store a lot of information including an entire E Commerce product catalog. The memory utilizes the RAM available on the serve and stores all information in it. The I/O operations on a RAM are faster than those on a hard disk and this ultimately helps to improve the performance and load speed.
- Data Compression: You can use compression software including GZip to reduce the size of the data that is sent to the browser. The mechanism happens at the server side when the data is returned based on the request processed at the client side.
- Content Delivery across Networks: If your business empire extends all around the world, then it is recommended to use Content Delivery Networks to reduce the load speed. This helps to extract content from different parts of the world which automatically improves the load speed.
- Image Dimension Specifications: It is a great idea to provide image specifications, people generally forget or ignore specifying the image dimensions and this mistake usually forces the browser to load the image entirely before it can perform some other task which increases the image load time.
- Platform Configuration: Depending on whether your E-commerce platform is licensed or hosted, examine the configurations to improve the page load times. Platforms like Magento offer a variety of configurations like Content Delivery Network, file compression system, and speed enhancement technology which automatically contribute to reduced load time.
- Avoid using Redirects: It is better to avoid using redirects if unnecessary. As each redirects are separate requests to the server it increases the load time. So, minimize the use of redirects.