The internet has already created a cyber world that most of us are currently enjoying. Most of us are already hooked on surfing the net, e-commerce, social networking and other businesses that we this cyber world can offer. The question is, how do you keep yourself safe? When I talk about safety, I just don’t mean about your computer units safety against virus but as well as your identities, money and privacy against cyber hackers and online scams. So here are some helpful tips you can use in order for you to enjoy the internet as safe as possible.
1. Have a strong password. A strong password may be a combination of random characters and numbers. Just be sure you’ll remember your password.
2. Regularly change your passwords. Change it for every six months, in that way you’ll be sure your password will be more private.
3. Never share your passwords with anybody, not even your family and closest friends.
4. Be sure to have reliable anti-virus software running on your computers and always enable its internet security features.
5. Be careful on things you download. When checking your emails always scan the attached files first before downloading them to your personal units.
6. Beware of suspicious ads and pop-up windows that circulate around the web. If it’s possible have these pop-ups blocked.
7. Not all that is free is safe. We tend to be distracted with free software downloads that are offered by some sites and we easily fall into the trap. Remember having licensed software may cost you some fortune but it is still better than having free software from a suspicious site that may contain hidden viruses that can damage your computer systems.
8. In social networking sites, never expose all your private information.
9. Never upload photos, videos and files that are confidential and private. Once you accept the terms and conditions, it is like giving the site the authority to the files that you’ve uploaded.
10. While doing online shopping, check the seller’s feedback status. This may help you know the seller’s credibility.
11. If it happened to that you are the seller, protect yourself from scams by asking your buyer to pay first before you send the product you’re selling.
12. Lastly, the net is a huge cyber world so it is advisable that you guard yourself. If you already think the site is suspicious don’t even try to enter it or research reviews about the sites you usually go into. That could help you to be more informed and secured.