Is a fancy site better than a not so fancy site? Not necessarily, and I will tell you why.
Firstly, a website with too many images or other “fancy” things takes a lot longer to load than a basic, simpler website.
Next, you must understand that people are searching the internet to get answers to their questions or problems. They are not necessarily going to hang around a site that’s fancier than another – especially if it does not satisfy their needs!
So for example, a person may be searching for “how to make money online”. The simple website may contain several articles, information, links to various courses or even just some simple tips on how to get started.
On the other hand, the “fancy” website may be rich in images, flash, audio and video – but very little content.
If you are that person, who are you more likely to buy a product from? Someone who has helped you in some way (for free!) or another that may look great, but offers little on face value, other than some pretty pictures?
Below is a list of some of the things you must consider when designing your website:
1. Determine what your target market are asking for. You can do this through keyword research. Be sure to include content that is rich in these keywords.
2. Design or find a product that solves your target market’s problem or answers their questions.
3. Offer something of value – just talking about how great the product is will not give you the credibility someone requires to hand over their money – offer free tips or a newsletter, and be sure to include helpful, keyword-rich content on your website.
4. Your website must be easy to navigate. If people can’t find their way around, you will lose them very quickly.
5. Post content regularly. Leaving your website alone for two years will not only drop your website down in the rankings, nobody wants information that is out of date, so keep up with current trends.
So it really doesn’t matter what your website looks like, but rather what is contained within the pages on your website!