- You can need the internet to play games online on your Xbox One, but most Xbox One games don’t necessarily require an internet connection.
- Certain games are designed to be played online, such as “Fortnite,” and usually have features like multiplayer matches.
- You also need the internet to be able to stream movies or music on your Xbox One.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more.
Microsoft’s eighth-generation gaming console is so much more than a device to play video games.
While the Xbox One is designed to have multidimensional functionality, the primary and most popular feature is the ability to download and play video games.
Xbox One users have the option to buy traditional video games and play them on their console or download and play video games online. However, there are a few things you should consider before you engage in online gaming on your Xbox One console.
Here’s how to play games online on your Xbox One:
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to use the internet to play games online on your Xbox One
Most games released today have online features, such as multiplayer matches. Some games, such as “Fortnite,” are designed to be played online, but others are single-player focused, so be sure to do your research ahead of time.
Before you can start playing online, you have to make sure that you have a wireless internet connection, or a direct connection from your Xbox One to your router using an ethernet cable.
Many Xbox One video games will also require a membership to Xbox Live Gold. Xbox Live Gold memberships can be purchased directly through your Xbox One, or as digital codes from third-party retailers. If you have a subscription to Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass, you will need to be connected to the internet to download and play the digital games available in the Xbox Game Pass digital library.
If you want to watch Netflix or YouTube, you will also need an internet connection to utilize these apps.
Here’s how to set up a wireless internet connection on your console:
1. Power on your Xbox One gaming console, then press the Xbox button on the center of your controller.
2. In the Xbox One Guide menu, scroll to the right of the menu and click on “Settings,” then click on “General” and head to “Network Settings.”
3. In “Network Settings,” click on “Set up wireless network” and then find the wireless network that you wish to connect your Xbox One to and enter your password.
After you enter the password to the Wi-Fi network you are trying to connect to, your Xbox One will be officially connected to the internet.