Statement from Mexican telecom regulator IFT.
- In prepaid, in recharges from $ 50 to $ 500, an increase in the MB included was identified, as well as the days of validity of the balance.
- In 2020, postpaid users can access unlimited SMS and Voice Minutes starting at a monthly rent of $ 100. While for 2019, it was starting with a monthly rent of $ 225.
- In 2020, more postpaid plans are identified that include unlimited MB.
The Federal Telecommunications Institute (IFT) presents the Report on the Evolution of Plans and Rates of Mobile Telecommunications Services 2019-2020, which highlights that, in the period of one year, in prepaid mode, the amount of Megabytes ( MB) to surf the internet for the same cost as in the previous year.
Among the main findings of the Report are:
Prepaid 2019 – 2020
For 2020, the Report analyzes 29 schemes offered under the prepaid modality, of which:
- 48% of the offer corresponds to prepaid schemes that include a basket of services for a recharge amount, while 52% were consumption-on-demand schemes.
- 71% of the prepaid schemes that include a basket of services from a recharge amount include a basket of MB for use of social networks.
- In 2020 it is observed that the validity days decreased compared to 2019, mainly for the recharge amounts of $ 200 and $ 300.
- In the prepaid schemes that include a basket of services per recharge amount, it was identified that: 1 Press Release No. 092/2020
- a) FreedomPop increased its MB amount on the $ 100, $ 150 and $ 200 top-ups; These increases range from 150% to 333.3 percent.
- b) AT&T increased the number of MB included in recharges from $ 100, $ 150 and $ 200; these increases range from 20% to 50 percent.
- c) Movistar also increased the number of MB included in the $ 50, $ 100 and $ 200 top-ups; from 2.4% to 20 percent. d) In the same way, Telcel did it with recharges from $ 50 to $ 500, with increases in MB ranging from 22.9% to 104.8 percent.
For 2019, of the 17 prepaid schemes identified:
• 29% of the offer corresponded to prepaid schemes that include a basket of services for a certain amount of recharge, while 71% were consumption-on-demand schemes.
• 80% of the offer in prepaid schemes included a basket of MB for use of social networks from a certain recharge amount.
For 2020, the Report analyzes 65 plans offered under the postpaid modality, of which:
• 86% of the plans offer a basket of unlimited Voice Minutes and SMS services starting from a monthly rent of $ 100.
• 100% of the plans offer a basket of MB ranging from 1,000 MB to unlimited MB. • Compared to 2019, there is an increase in the number of postpaid plans that include unlimited MB.
• 85% of the plans include a basket of MB for use of social networks (mainly Facebook, Twitter and / or WhatsApp). 2 Press Release No. 092/2020 • Three new Virtual Mobile Operators that offer postpaid plans were identified. Since, for 2019, of the 56 plans identified:
• 94% of the plans offered Unlimited Voice Minutes and SMS starting at a monthly rent of $ 225.
• 100% of the plans offered a basket of MB services ranging from 1,000 MB to an unlimited offer of MB.
• 96% of the plans included a basket of MB for use of social networks (mainly Facebook, Twitter and / or WhatsApp).
On postpaid plans in 2019, the monthly rent ranged from $ 199 to $ 5,505. Meanwhile, in 2020 the monthly rent ranges between $ 100 and $ 1,565. Compared to 2019, the number of MB included in the plans remained unchanged.
The Report includes a section in which a simulated consumption exercise was carried out, in order to show the estimated expense that a user would incur to cover a certain basket of MB services in the referred period.
In this sense, it was identified that by 2020 most of the plans within the Low, Medium and High profiles include a similar or greater basket of MB compared to 2019. Derived from the above, in 2020, for the Average consumption of MB (3 to 5 GB) and High (> 5 GB), the user incurs no additional costs to cover the simulated MB consumption.
Finally, a simulated consumption exercise for prepaid users is also added, which has the purpose of showing the number of recharges that a user would have to carry out to cover 3 Press Release No. 092/2020 a basket of 1,024 MB, as well as the total expense that would be incurred to cover 1,024 MB. From the results of the exercise it was identified that:
• In 2020, in general, users make the same total expenditure to cover simulated consumption, with the exception of Unefon users for recharges of $ 30, $ 50 and $ 100.
• By 2020, FreedomPop and Telcel users on $ 100 top-ups incur less expense to cover simulated consumption of 1,024 MB (-75% and -50%, respectively).
• For 2020, Movistar and Telcel users with recharges of $ 50 incur a lower expense to cover simulator consumption of 1,024 MB (-33% and -25%).
Likewise, the IFT has available to users the tools “I Know My Consumption” that allows the user to enter their consumption profile and find out the plans that adapt to their needs and budget and the “Telecommunications Services Comparator”, which allows Know and compare in a simple and detailed way the characteristics of the mobile and fixed service plans, in their different contracting modalities, available in the country.
The report can be consulted at: http://www.ift.org.mx/usuarios-y-audiencias/reporte-de-evolucion-de-planes-y-tarifas-de-servicios-de-telecomunicaciones-moviles-2019 -2020
Website of source