Planning out how to best use your marketing dollars can be a troublesome task.
Of course, you want to stretch you dollars as far as they will go and you also want to get results for the money that you put out. You want a good return on your investment.
Should you consider marketing your business on the Internet?
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you decide whether this will be a good option for you and your business.
- Are potential customers looking on line for the type of services that your offer?
- Is your competition advertising on line?
- Do your customers ever ask if you have a web page?
- Are there adsense ads on the search page?
If you can answer yes to one or more of the above questions then you should seriously consider adding on line advertising to your marketing plan. However, there are a few other things to consider as well.
Internet advertising involves three very different elements.
- Pay per click paid advertising. These are the ads that you commonly see on the very top and sides of the search page. The person in the first position is paying the most. Every time a person clicks on that ad, you are billed for it, either they become a customer or not.
- Natural search results. These are the results that you see underneath the paid ads. There will be hundreds of pages, although the only page that really gets seen is the first page and maybe the second page. Anytime a person click on your website, it costs you nothing. It is basically free traffic.
- Top 10 map results. Often you will see a map with websites off to the side. These are local search results for search terms. For example, if you were to search for 'pest control Colorado springs' you would see a map with local pest control companies.
Option number 1 is a really good way to loose a lot of money fast. This is not a good option if you are new to Internet marketing. You may get lots of traffic, but it'll cost you, and when your budget dries up, so does the traffic.
Your best options are number 2 and 3. Free traffic and local business results is where your business needs to be.
Of course, you'll need to find a marketing specialist that can put a website on the first page (please note, a person that can build a web page and a marketer that can put you on page one are NOT the same thing).
Once you have your web page right out there in front, you start to advertise on Google for free and your marketing dollars will pay off for a long time.