Buffalo Public Schools announced Monday that a cable company will be providing high-speed internet access for students who lack the service at home.
A survey last month found 2,914 Buffalo Public School households in Spectrum Enterprise’s service area did not have internet access.
On Monday, Charter Communications, Spectrum’s parent company, announced that its Stay Connected K-12 program will be available to all of those homes with the help of a $500,000 donation from the Buffalo Bills Social Justice Fund. The service will offer Wi-Fi, a download speed that supports video collaboration and large file transfers, around-the-clock technical support, unlimited usage and a self-installation kit.
“This is a huge deal because it provides a higher internet capacity per household,” said Myra Burden, the school district’s chief technology officer. “It will be great for the households that have four or more children without internet access because that many on one hotspot produces bottlenecks.”
As of last Friday, the school district had supplied 97% of all Buffalo school children devices with hotspot capability. The remaining 3% may be in a household that has elected to use a personal device instead, Burden said.
“Through Stay Connected K-12, the Spectrum Enterprise team is helping close the digital divide, providing the high quality connectivity needed to have a successful educational experience,” Spectrum Enterprise President Bill Archer said in a prepared statement. “The turnkey solution is easy for school administrators to put into place, freeing them to maximize their focus on learning and student achievement.”
Website of source