Like it has on most things in life, the internet is having an effect on the travel industry.
1. Due to the high cost of business travel, more business travelers will be looking for alternative ways to do business. The use of the Internet and the latest technology has made it possible to do business worldwide without actually having to travel to destinations in order to conduct business. Not only is it efficient in the use of time and financial resources, it also makes less demand on the personal lives of business people and their families.
2. The trend to use the Internet to plan travel will stay flat. Booking reservations via the Internet is a growing trend, but it is expected that this growth will be at a lower rate than what it has been during the past three years.
3. Comparison shopping of suppliers’ fares and rates by travelers is increasing as consumers discover the power of search engines. Consumers will seek refuge from the contamination and frustration that accompanies searches in the dot com domain. More sophisticated comparison sites will continue to grow in popularity.
4. Travel suppliers will seek to market their products and services in a more refined online environment, the Internet Travel domains will continue to grow in popularity.
5. “Just the basics” packages, popularized by resorts, will be offered by commercial hotels and will grow in popularity. The basics will include a comfortable bed, a good working desk, breakfast, and the latest Internet technology, including High Speed Internet access.