Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description Summary
Travelers is seeking a Circle Lead / Team of Teams Lead to drive the execution of technology strategies in support of business outcomes in an agile fashion. In this position, you will be accountable for implementing the technology strategy and portfolio of solutions and capabilities spanning a small number of agile teams primarily with a single business unit or product. You will apply technical acumen, knowledge of agile practices and leadership in partnership with business counterparts to effectively define, plan and deliver technical solutions that support business outcomes in service to business strategy.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead, define, communicate and champion the work of a small number of agile teams (i. e. Team of Teams) working toward common business outcomes generally within a specific business segment.
- Implement technology strategy/capability and accountable for holistic application of the strategy and roadmap for achieving the strategy, vision and business outcomes; articulate the Circle / Team of Teams vision and strategy effectively to teams and stakeholders; stewardship of technical assets to ensure stability, availability, scalability and maintainability.
- Partner with business Circle Lead to effectively plan and deliver technical solutions that support business outcomes.
- Effectively drive, manage, implement and track a portfolio of deliverables, features and capabilities as well as ‘test and learn’/experimentation targeted at defining/refining future deliverables, measuring performance, automating across life cycles, and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as needed.
- Support the prioritization of interdependent team technology backlogs, addressing risks and dependencies to defined outcomes and ensuring overall alignment with technology and business strategy; Make trade-off decisions to balance quality, cost, and timelines to maximize value; utilize and adhere to technology standards.
- Identify innovative solutions both internally and in the external marketplace; ensure competitive and industry benchmarking of critical technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Responsible for technical resource allocation, including vendor management, on-boarding, performance management, and offshore approach/structure.
- Lead positive team dynamics, encourage collaboration and drive appropriate levels of self-organization; Assess, utilize, and partner with external resources and partners to meet agreed upon expectations, as needed.
- Manage multi-team dynamics; remove impediments to teams’ success and assist in conflict resolution, issue and dependency management; collaborate with other team members and neighbors to improve team velocity.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships across other Circles and with key partners (e. g. technology architects.
- Help grow agile maturity within and across teams.
- People-management responsibilities for technology team members.
- Six years of relevant technology experience required.
- Two years of people leadership/ management experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Five years of experience in an agile/execution leadership role delivering technology solutions on a demanding schedule preferred.
- Three years of people leadership/ management experience preferred.
- Strong technical skills and a deep strategic mindset preferred.
- Proven analytical skills and experience making decisions based on hard and soft data preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the Line of Business with the ability to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage, respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Product Mindset: Focus on defining a product value proposition that aligns with and supports the circle/value stream objectives and which is the north star for the Circle.
- Change Agent: Expert change leadership skills including the ability to create an inclusive environment, manage conflict and develop solutions to mitigate risk.
- Influence: Ability to influence behaviors of leaders at all levels and without traditional hierarchy.
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts, practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a target audience.
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually improve, share learning with others and encourage team development.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.