Clemson, Miami, UVA headline home slate for Hokies, Tech opens with NC State
BLACKSBURG – The Atlantic Coast Conference released revised schedules for its member schools on Thursday. Virginia Tech and other ACC schools will play 10 conference games in 2020, along with one non-conference foe.
Tech’s ACC home opponents include Boston College, Clemson, Miami, NC State and Virginia. The Hokies will travel to Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Pitt and Wake Forest. The Hokies will open the 2020 campaign at home against NC State on Sept. 12. It will mark the Wolfpack’s first visit to Lane Stadium since the Hokies registered a 28-13 home victory in 2015.
The Hokies will retain their non-conference matchup with Liberty. That will now be played at Lane Stadium on November 7. The Hokies and Flames have met just once before, the first game of the Justin Fuente era at Virginia Tech in 2016, a 36-13 victory for the Hokies.
The Hokies’ slate features the other three ACC teams to register five wins in conference in 2019, including national runner-up Clemson and eight foes who made bowl game appearances.
The 2020 season will feature:
- Clemson’s first trip to Lane Stadium since 2017, which was also the last time the Tigers faced the Hokies.
- Just the eighth-ever meeting with Louisville and the first as members of the ACC. Tech last faced the Cardinals in 2006 in a 35-24 Gator Bowl victory.
- The 102nd meeting all-time with Virginia in a series that the Hokies have dominated, winning 19 of the past 21 meetings, including 10 consecutive games at Lane Stadium.
- The 2020 season will mark the first time the Commonwealth Clash game against UVA hasn’t been played on Thanksgiving weekend since 2005. It will mark the first time the in-state foes will meet in the month of September since Frank Beamer’s inaugural season when the two teams played on Sept. 19, 1987.
- Tech’s first trip to Wake Forest under Justin Fuente.
As previously announced, the league will operate in a 10+1 format with each school playing 10 conference games and playing host to one non-conference affair. Notably, Notre Dame is included in the format and will be included in the single division of ACC football in 2020 and will be eligible for the Conference Championship Game which is slated for either Dec. 12 or Dec. 19 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.
VIRGINIA TECH 2020 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
September 12 NC STATE
September 19 VIRGINIA
September 26 Open
October 3 at Duke
October 10 at North Carolina
October 17 BOSTON COLLEGE
October 24 at Wake Forest
October 31 at Louisville
November 7 LIBERTY
November 14 MIAMI
November 21 at Pitt
November 28 Open
December 5 CLEMSON
December 12/19 ACC Championship Game – Charlotte, NC
HOME GAMES IN BOLD – Schedule as of Aug. 6, 2020 and subject to change
A decision regarding the capacity of Lane Stadium for this season has not yet been determined. Information on next steps in regards to the ticket request process for season ticket holders and Hokie Club members will be released in the next seven to 10 days. As previously indicated, all season ticket holders will be provided with a chance to convert their ticket purchase into an outright donation to the Hokie Scholarship Fund, treat their ticket as an investment as a credit on their account, or request a refund.