When in the process of calculating how to move to the Cloud safely and easily, most businesses are using a virtualization platform such as Vmware or XEN… the transfer of this platform application can be possible. simplified by using the EC2 VM Import/Export Tool or the VM Connector. In this article, let’s take a look at these two tools in detail and the characteristics when using them.
EC2 – VM Import/Export
- Import – Can be used to migrate Vmware, XEN VMs, Microsoft to AWS Cloud.
- Export – Can convert EC2 instances for on-premise use to VMware, XEN VMs, Microsoft platforms.
- Windows & Linux VMs
- Export: VM ESX VMDK (Virtual Machine Disk) or OVA (Open Virtualization Appliance)
- Citrix XEN VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)
- Microsoft Hyper-V VHD
- API or CLI, not supported via AWS Management Console
- VM is stopped before generating VHD or VMHD images.
- is a plugin to vmware vCenter to migrate VMs to Amazon S3.
- can convert to AMI
- progress can be tracked in vCenter