Anonymous web browsing is surfing the internet while hiding the user’s IP address and any other information from the websites the user is visiting; anonymity can be achieved by using a proxy server or a virtual private network or VPN server. If the proxy server is trusted proxy, anonymity will be retained. Anonymous web browsing is generally helpful to those internet users who want to ensure that their sessions should be hidden from the hackers or they could not be monitored. For example organizations may want to control access to the particular websites. However, Anonymous Web Servers act as placing a wall between the user and the website which he/she is visiting. These servers can be used to bypass restrictions and visit those sites that might be blocked in a specific country, office or school. Some people only use these servers to protect their on line identity.
There are different websites which claim to provide these anonymous web browsing services. Some of them are free services and some are paid, with more or fewer features. Among these systems simplest anonym zing system will be Proxy browsing since no additional software is needed to download and there are fewer configurations. In this approach an additional “trusted third party” who is a proxy is introduced between the sender and receiver in a way that, user’s all web requests are redirected to the proxy. So the proxy will made the request from the web server on behalf of the user. Hence the sender’s identity is hidden from the receiver.
The operation of achieving anonymity is as followed.
1. The web browser issues an http request for the URL from the proxy server.
2. The proxy server immediately issues an http request to the Web server for this URL. Now the http request appears to be originated at the proxy server and not at the user’s computer.
3. The web server replies with sending an HTML document to the Proxy.
4. The proxy will first rewrite all the links in that document so that they will point back to the proxy instead of the web server.
5. Finally it sends the document back to the user with all links rewritten.